Widely regarded as “King Kohli” and “Master of Chasing”, Virat Kohli without a doubt is the face of Indian cricket because of the enthusiasm he brings in his game from the beginning that abled him to master in every format. He is the measuring scale of this cricket generation with which every batsman is being compared.
Kohli completed the fastest 10,000 runs taking 205 innings in his career in the 2nd ODI of the series against the Windies at Visakhapatnam. It took him 10 years 67 days to achieve the feat after he made his debut on Aug 18, 2008 in Dambulla, SL.
Before Kohli, the record belonged to the legendary Master Blaster Sachin Tendulkar who achieved the feat in 259th inning of his career on March 31, 2001, against Australia in Indore.
Each 1000 runs in ODI that Virat Kohli reached in his career
- 1000 Runs in 24th inning against Sri Lanka(Harare) on June 5, 2010
- 2000 Runs in 53rd inning against West Indies(Port of Spain) on June 8th, 2011
- 3000 Runs in 75th inning against Sri Lanka (Adelaide) on February 14th, 2012
- 4000 Runs in 93rd inning against England(Ranchi) on January 19th, 2013
- 5000 Runs in 114th inning against West Indies(Kochi) on November 21st, 2013
- 6000 Runs in 136th inning against Sri Lanka(Hyderabad) on November 9th, 2014
- 7000 Runs in 161st inning against Australia(Melbourne) on January 17th, 2016
- 8000 Runs in 175th inning against Bangladesh(Birmingham) on June 15th, 2017
- 9000 Runs in 194th inning against New Zealand(Kanpur) on October 29th, 2017
- 10,000 Runs in 205th inning against the WI(Visakhapatnam) on October 24th, 2018.
Centuries Scored against different countries
Number of Centuries Opponents
- 8 Sri Lanka
- 5 Australia
- 5 New Zealand
- 5 West Indies
- 4 South Africa
- 3 England
- 3 Bangladesh
- 2 Pakistan
- 1 Zimbabwe
For a cricket fan, nothing is more pleasing than seeing a sportsman with utmost commitment to cut the fruits of his labour. Kohli ’s performance on the field speaks for itself about his dominance in the game. Experts have been avoiding Kohli’s direct comparison with Sachin Tendulkar calling it is too early for the balance of the game. But with every game, those stats prove “It’s Time”. In fact, some experts have considered him even better.
Statistics against the Top Teams
Opponent Innings Runs Avg Highest
Sri Lanka 45 2186 59.08 139*
West Indies 28 1527 63.63 140
South Africa 24 1269 66.79 160*
Australia 26 1182 51.82 118
New Zealand 19 1154 72.13 154*
England 29 1112 44.48 122
Bangladesh 11 654 81.75 136
What do legend think of him
“I Love Watching Virat Kohli Bat. I Love His Aggression And Serious Passion That I Used To Have. He Reminds Me Of Myself”
“No shame in being beaten by a genius, Virat Kohli is a freak” – Michael Vaughan
“Virat is one of the world’s greatest batsmen, combining an unmatched ability to dispatch the ball with pin-point accuracy with exceptional running between the wickets” – AB de Villiers
Dominance as the Captain
Kohli was appointed the vice-captain of the ODI team in 2012 and handed over the Test captaincy following Mahendra Singh Dhoni’s Test retirement
in 2014. In early 2017, he became the limited-overs captain as well after Dhoni stepped down from the position. There has been a massive turnaround in this Indian team and Kohli is the man to develop them under his natural leadership.
Received highest Sporting honour this year
Kohli has been the recipient of many awards such as the Sir Garfield Sobers Trophy (ICC Cricketer of the Year) in 2017;
ICC ODI Player of the Year in 2012, 2017
Wisden Leading Cricketer in the World in 2016, 2017.
He was given the Arjuna Award in 2013, the Padma Shri under the sports category in 2017
and the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna, the highest sporting honour in India, in 2018.